Saturday, December 23, 2006

X is for X-ACTO

This is my X-ACTO carving set. I think most people have used some type of X-ACTO tool at some time or another. My favorite X-ACTO tool is this carving set. It is made up of several gouging type blades and several cutting and saw type blades.

I was into paper arts and rubber stamping in a former crafting life and decided I wanted to carve my own stamps. So after a little research I decided I needed some white vinyl erasers and this carving set. I took a look through some old crafting supplies and was able to find some of the stamps I actually carved. The stamp in the lower left corner is actually me. I transfer a photo to the eraser and carved it out. Not too bad for an early attempt.

Most of my ink pads are all dried out, but I was able to get a print of the lion stamp. It is the stamp in the lower right corner on the picture above.

I haven't used any of these supplied in a very long time, but I think that I'll keep the carving set out. I'm betting that they'd be a good tool for decorating and carving pumpkins!

8 comments:

Zonda said...

Cool! Those are really neat! So they are just white eraser's you carve into? Neat! I like the one of you especially, how cool!

Great X post! :)

cpurl17 said...

Wow! You've quite talented! I love the self portrait.

Bezzie said...

Reminds me of my linoleum prints!

I've got a similiar knife--but it's not officially X-acto!

Cool X!

turtlegirl76 said...

How cool is that?! Awesome!

Erica said...

X-acto knives are sooo cool! I love your stamps.

Reminded me immediately of doing linoleum block prints in elementary school crafts class, though those were lame in comparison.

Second thing that came to mind was my college friend's architecture models. Much use of X-acto knives and foam core, there.

Red Rocket said...

These are pretty darn great! I haven't done any sort of carving since high school, but I just love the look they create. Hope you keep having fun with it.

Anonymous said...

so cool! and I thought one xacto was enough..

Angela said...

Cool! I knew you'd come up with something good for the letter X :)

Ang