Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Lizard Ridge Continues

Well I managed to finish three more squares for the Lizard Ridge Afghan before the end of the Norovember KAL. These little squares are really addictive. I love watching how the stripping comes out for each square. The square above were knit in Kureyon color #126 (back left), color #131 (back right), and color # 87 (front).

The pattern has you change yarn after every 6 rows. So, I've been knitting each square from both ends of one skein. For the purple and green square (#87) that meant that several colors that were in the skein didn't end up in the finished square. Color #87 also has a pink, turquoise, and a bright blue color that didn't show up in my square. I like the way the square came out though. I'm planning on using the leftovers from each skein to knit more squares. I did end up splitting the skein for color #131 and rewinding so that I did get more color variation in that square. If I didn't rewind for that one I would have missed out on all the blue and green that is there.

I joined the Norovember KAL to use up some of the stash I had built up of Noro yarn - quite specifically the overflowing pile of Kureyon that is in my stash. For some strange reason, I just can't seem to get enough of this stuff. I really do love the vivid colors and watching the stripes emerge as I knit. I love the texture of the finished felted fabric. Kureyon and sock yarn are my addiction. And it is starting to get out of hand.

So I though the KAL would be a good incentive for me to use some up. First I made the felted stocking and started a second. Then I decided to use up some of the stash for the Lizard Ridge Afghan from the recent Knitty. I have knit a total for 4 square so far for lizard ridge. Including the two stockings and the squares, I used up about 11 skeins of stashed Kureyon.

After I finished that fourth square, I went back to the stash to decide what color to knit up next. But as I started going through the stash I just couldn't bring myself to break up any of the remaining colors in the stash. If I did that - I wouldn't have enough of each color to knit the originally intended projects I plan to knit! Then what would I do with all those odd balls that were left? So I did what any addict would do - I bought more!

That's right, I bought more Kureyon. Twelve skeins to be exact. (But aren't they pretty?) Each of these lovely colors will be another square for Lizard Ridge. So the KAL did not help me bust the stash as intended. In fact, I ended up with a one skein gain overall. Certainly not what was intended (head hung low). I guess I should be grateful that it didn't cost me more.

I think that 2007 will be the year of the stash for me. I have yarn stashed for all kinds of projects and have a long list of things I want to finish. So I will likely add a yarn moratorium to the list of resolutions that will get made at the first of the year. Just as long as you understand that doesn't include my membership in the 2007 Rockin' Sock Club - I can't give up that!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. 2007 will be the year of the stash!!! And thank goodness for the BMFA Sock Club because I know I couldn't make the year with no new yarn!

Unknown said...

Stash busting, shmash busting. That afghan is going to be gorgeous.

Bezzie said...

Those squares are gorgeous!

And all that Noro in the box looks like psychadelic cinnamon rolls! Hee hee!

Anonymous said...

Love your squares! I don't know what it is about Kureyon, either, but I love it! 2007 Rockin' Sock Club here we come!

Monika said...

I love the colors of Kureyon. I found a bag in my stash, which turned out to be a bag of 40 balls of Kureyon for a blanket (what else?) which I started back in April/May of this year. I'd forgotten all about it. it's going to be a mitered squares blanket, just did the first row and started the second row yesterday. This blanket will be for myself. I can't wait to see the project you have in mind with the Kureyon you already had. I like the lizard ridge blanket, it looks wonderful!

Zonda said...

Gorgeous squares there!

Yeah 2007 is the year of the stash for me too! That's why I'm doing some last minute buys! All sock yarn clubs are exempt!! New rule! LOL!

Mary, Mary... said...

I love your Lizard Ridge Squares--of course, you can't break up the skeins that already have a 'verbal contract' with a pattern!;)