Thursday, April 19, 2012
spun up and shared on this blog back in October 2009. It sat in a trunk of hand spun that sits in the upstairs hall until sometime last year. I went searching for something suitable in my stash to knit up a vest for widget. He seems to be drawn to things that are blue and orange - so this seemed like a good yarn to start with - plus there was over 500 yards.
I looked and looked, but cannot find any pictures I took of just the fiber itself before I started working. But I did a quick search on Flickr and found one that the dyer herself took if you are interested in seeing the complete progression.
Here it is in all its glory. I love the stripes that the Navajo plying created. It's been awhile since this project was finished- so I don't remember what pattern was used. But I will say that it is a simple v neck vest with a stitch pattern throughout the body.
The stitch pattern gets completely lost in the colors and stripes. It really wasn't worth the effort other than a little entertainment to avoid row after row of stockinette stitch.
The finished size is definitely roomy and it wall last through at least the next fall season. I have a couple skeins and fiber braids set aside for mores vests this next fall and I think I will try for a full sweater for him out of hand spun.
Wednesday, April 04, 2012
I was looking around on Etsy for something for my son and somehow I ended up typing roving into the search field. I ended up looking at some roving from Three Waters Farm. Mary Ann Pagano runs the shop and dyes the fiber; she also happens to be the person that I took my first spinning lesson from - so I decided to buy some fiber. The fiber is a color called stone house and is Blue face Leicester. It will probably end up being a vest for widget this fall. It is a great use of 4 ounces of fiber.
I neglected to take a true before shot of the fiber before I started spinning. One of the things I've always liked about blogging was doing the photos to go along with the posts - but I was too anxious to get started spinning and about remembering how to get started. So as soon as the fiber arrived, I pulled out the wheel, dusted it off and got everything set up. As I was setting up, I was worried I wouldn't remember how to get everything adjusted and how to get started. But as soon as I got the empty bobbin on the flyer and the fiber attached to the leader things seemed to fall into place.
I"ll post a picture once I've gotten he singles plied and skein washed and set. I plan on posting more often - so if you are out thee reading this let me know.
Sunday, August 08, 2010
But the minute one of them gets up, the fun starts again. This time Widget decided to catch Scarlett by the tail. He did pull, but I think she is so much that bigger that she didn't even feel the tugging. He does love watching them and reaching out for them. He likes feeling the texture of the fur.
One of the neat things to see is Widget's face when we get home in the evening from work/daycare. He lights right up and starts laughing and smiling at both of them as they come to the door to greet us. We never leave this group unattended, but it is great to have everyone get along and play nice.
Sunday, August 01, 2010
The monkeys are great, but they will have to sit on the shelf for now. The button eyes are great, but make them unsuitable play toys for the time being. Everything Widget gets makes its way to his mouth sooner or later.
One of the nice things about all of her knitting is that she is using some of my stashed yarn and patterns. Each time she comes for a visit, she goes through my stash and takes home some skeins for new projects. I had originally bought the yarn and pattern for this project, but it is nice to see it done for Widget. No telling how long it would be before I got around to knitting them.
The monkeys are knit from Socks That Rock Heavyweight. The pattern is written for both the large and small monkey. The main color of the large monkey is Lapis and the small monkey is primarily knit from the Amber color. The report from grandma is that the pattern was straight forward and not difficult. The project started with two full skeins, but there was a lot leftover; probably enough for another large sized monkey.
Pattern: Funky Sock Monkey
by cockeyed sockateer
Thursday, July 22, 2010
I've finally gotten a new laptop and I'm itching to get started with my knitting and craft projects and blogging. Every time I walk by my spinning wheel or see a skein of yarn or knitting needles I want to get working on a new project.
I'm guessing that I won't be quite as prolific a knitter and spinner as I once was, but hopefully I can still make things interesting enough to share. So for starters, I decided to start with an easy knitting project to get the ball rolling. I'm working on a Christmas stocking for Widget.
I knit and felted stockings for myself and Mr. Knit Me a River, so I decided that Widget ought to have one too. I figure the project is easy and with minimal effort even I ought to be able to finish it by Christmas. I started with some Noro Kureyon I had stashed. I found my knitting notebook and all my notes from my first stocking (from 2006!) are there and ready to follow. It's really just one big stockinette sock knit on size 11 needles.
In other happenings around Geddesburg, Widget is growing and progressing as expected. He is about six and a half months old and just the absolute best thing I've ever done. He's starting solid foods and I'm making all his food right now.It's not hard at all and it certainly is a lot cheaper. Maybe I'll blog the process with the peaches I'm getting ready to prepare for him. It will be his first time eating peaches.
I'll post an update on Scarlett and Sherman soon too. They are doing well and like any attention they can get now that they are having to share the limelight with a new baby.