Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thirty Six Inches of Stockinette!

Well I've been working on Widget's stocking as I have time and I've go the knitting finished! The pattern came from a book of Christmas stocking patterns. It is actually just a simple top down stockinette sock with a short foot.

I have actually knit this pattern twice before and it was early enough in my knitting career that I was still actively keeping a notebook on all my projects. So I was able to follow what I had done previously row by row.

My first two stockings took three and a half skeins. This one took just over four skeins. I don't know where the extra yarn went. This one is just a little longer than my notes indicate the last one was -but not that off. I even used the same needles.

I guess it probably has to do with gauge. That is something that I didn't track on this project or the previous stockings at all. I almost never worry  about gauge and especially on felting projects. I'll chalk it up to gauge and just be glad that I had enough yarn in my stash to cover the difference.

Now I just have to do the felting. Hopefully I will be able to get it felted soon. But I might wait until I get something else knitted up to felt. I've been thinking of making another felted bag with some more Noro Kureyon I have stashed . I just have to decide on a pattern.

In the meantime, I've picked up an old project and started working on it again. I'm  committed to working on old projects or knitting strictly from my stash. So hopefully I'll have some progress to report on that project soon.

4 comments:

Walden said...

Love the bright colors, good luck with the felting and the blanket.

Anonymous said...

I love that Oat Coture pattern - look forward to seeing how the blanket grows.
mdknitr

Batty said...

Love your happy bright stocking! I just finished my second Clapotis, and it took 3.5 skeins of yarn, whereas the first one took just under 3. Not sure why, if gauge changes over time or something, but it happens.

Caitlin said...

What a cute stocking! The color is absolutely gorgeous!

I'm one of the editors for AllFreeKnitting and I think you might be interested in our new holiday eBook that features knit stocking patterns.

http://www.allfreeknitting.com/ChristmasKnits/5-Knit-Christmas-Stocking-Patterns-eBook

Happy Knitting!