Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Anybody out there?

It's been about a year and a half since I've posted on this blog. I'm still active on the internet - I occasionally post on face book, sometimes I stop in Ravelry and look around and I have done some knitting, but for the most part I've been chasing a toddler around. I do love hanging out with the under five crowd, but lately I've really missed spinning and posting on this blog.

I was looking around on Etsy for something for my son and somehow I ended up typing roving into the search field. I ended up looking at some roving from Three Waters Farm. Mary Ann Pagano runs the shop and dyes the fiber; she also happens to be the person that I took my first spinning lesson from - so I decided to buy some fiber. The fiber is a color called stone house and is Blue face Leicester. It will probably end up being a vest for widget this fall. It is a great use of 4 ounces of fiber.

I neglected to take a true before shot of the fiber before I started spinning. One of the things I've always liked about blogging was doing the photos to go along with the posts - but I was too anxious to get started spinning and about remembering how to get started. So as soon as the fiber arrived, I pulled out the wheel, dusted it off and got everything set up. As I was setting up, I was worried I wouldn't remember how to get everything adjusted and how to get started. But as soon as I got the empty bobbin on the flyer and the fiber attached to the leader things seemed to fall into place.

I"ll post a picture once I've gotten he singles plied and skein washed and set. I plan on posting more often - so if you are out thee reading this let me know.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I'll say hello! I'm not sure if I've commented before - I added your blog to my follow list but I think it was only shortly before your last post, but it just appeared so I thought I'd say hello.
Always intending to knit a little spinning bag from your pattern - still haven't yet but I will.

Hope you get more opportunities to spin, lovely spinning in your pictures. My little one is 6 so I get more time now, although now she wants to join in too which is lovely.

Zonda said...

Yay!! Hello there! So glad you started spinning again! Can't wait to see the finished handspun :) A vest for widget will be perfect :) Kinda neat how you started spinning again with fiber bought from your teacher. BTW, I now have a Lendrum! I consider you my first spinning teacher though. Learned so much more than in my class :)

VeryRefreshing said...

I'm so glad to read you might be posting again! Yours is the only blog I follow that shows unspun roving to finished yarn. I'm not nearly as skilled a spinner as you, so I love seeing your work! So inspiring!!

Kaye said...

it's like riding a bike!

Debra said...

I just found your blog. I love to see pictures of the roving and then seeing how it looks spun. I'm sure I will be spending an evening reading your archives!