I still haven't plied that yarn, but I remembered something I could show you was completed in my non blogging period.
spun up and shared on this blog back in October 2009. It sat in a trunk of hand spun that sits in the upstairs hall until sometime last year. I went searching for something suitable in my stash to knit up a vest for widget. He seems to be drawn to things that are blue and orange - so this seemed like a good yarn to start with - plus there was over 500 yards.
I looked and looked, but cannot find any pictures I took of just the fiber itself before I started working. But I did a quick search on Flickr and found one that the dyer herself took if you are interested in seeing the complete progression.
Here it is in all its glory. I love the stripes that the Navajo plying created. It's been awhile since this project was finished- so I don't remember what pattern was used. But I will say that it is a simple v neck vest with a stitch pattern throughout the body.
The stitch pattern gets completely lost in the colors and stripes. It really wasn't worth the effort other than a little entertainment to avoid row after row of stockinette stitch.
The finished size is definitely roomy and it wall last through at least the next fall season. I have a couple skeins and fiber braids set aside for mores vests this next fall and I think I will try for a full sweater for him out of hand spun.