Tuesday, December 19, 2006

U is for Unfinished

This is the oldest unfinished project that I have. The interesting thing is - it was never my project until now. This project have to be over 15 years old. I may be wrong about that - and I'm sure my mom will correct me. My mom and a friend traveled to Ireland many years ago. One of the things my mom brought back was the wool you see above. She bought it at a local shop. There were no labels or anything. She said the wool was wound into balls and placed in a basket at the shop.

The yarn appears to be 100% wool and is a nice tweed. She bought ten different colors and began knitting the sweater you see in the picture. She actually knit over half the sweater. The front and two sleeves are in the picture with the remaining balls of yarn.

She sent the project to me with the hopes I would frog it and knit something else. The idea is to knit something that she can give as a gift to her friend as a memory of their trip. I think it is a wonderful idea and agreed. Now the unfinished project is mine and I have been tasked with coming up with making something nice that she can gift to her friend. I'd also like to knit something for my mom with the yarn too. There should be enough for two somethings.

My mom has seen some of the felted items I've made and she knit up and felted a swatch of the yarn for me. I've been leaning to making up a couple felted bags or bowls for them. The first thing to do though, is get the pieces frogged - which will be a job in itself!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a fun idea!

Anonymous said...

WoW frogging that will be quite a task! However, the reknitting will be fun. I like both your ideas, bags and bowls. Bowls might be a longer lasting memento of their trip. Could you get a bow and small bag for each out of the yarn?

Anonymous said...

oops, that's bowl not bow ;)

Bezzie said...

Ooo...yes frogging that is going to be a task. But I love the idea of felting it. That swatch is quite lovely!

Anonymous said...

How about felting the pieces, then cutting up and sewing into something? That would avoid all the frogging.

Zonda said...

Oh, I like Elizabeth's idea! Wow, that is some knitting though!! Good luck with whatever you choose. I think it is a great idea to knit them both something though! :)