Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Traveling Projects

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a visit with my mom in Indianapolis. So I need a couple small projects that I could carry with me and that would be nice and relaxing vacation knitting. I decided to start Aubergine last week and it will be perfect to carry along. It is a one-skein scarf project that IrishGirlieKnits posted a pattern for last week.

I was really drawn in by the colors and the stitch pattern that she used to create the scarf. I had a skein of Socks That Rock Heavyweight just sitting around so I decided to cast on immediately. I know the project will travel nicely and won't take up too much space in my luggage. It took me several tries to get the faux cable stitch down right. I kept leaving out the two knit stitched between the faux cables so the purl rows got really messed up. After about four or five tried I finally got it right. The yarn I'm using is Socks That Rock Heavyweight and the color is Saratoga. If you are interested in knitting a scarf, this is a good one to try. The pattern is well written and easy to follow.

I also started another project with sock yarn. I have a lot of sock weight yarn and it always can be turned into a nice little project for traveling. But I wanted to knit something different than socks this time. So I did a little searching for free patterns online and found a pattern for some fingerless gloves called Stulpen. The pattern is available in German and English and very easy to follow. I'm already partway through the first glove. It has been a while since I knit any type of cables.

The chart of the pattern if available in a larger printable version; which is very nice. I don't read charts very often. So I was pleasantly surprised that after only a couple rows I was able to figure out how to read the symbols without constantly referring to the chart key at the bottom.

I'll also be taking my Swirl Shawl project and an extra skein or two of yarn that can easily be turned into socks or a hat. I'm always overly ambitious when packing my knitting for vacation because I don't want to be left with nothing to do. It isn't like they don't have yarn shops there; in fact two of my favorite shops are there, Mass. Ave Knits and Stitches and Scones. Both of which I'm sure I'll be visiting while I'm there. The other thing we will be doing is attending the Hoosier Hills Fiberarts Festival on my first day. I'll have to be careful this time and leave enough room in the suitcase for all those souvenirs.

11 comments:

Stacey said...

all such pretty portable projects!!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Gorgeous Shannon!!! What stitch count did you finally come up with to make the colors look so lovely on the Aubergine! It looks fabulous in the Saratoga!!

Have a great trip!!

Emily said...

Love the scarf!

Zonda said...

Love the scarf! Heh..I may try one! I'm liking your Stulpen too!

Have a super trip!

Bezzie said...

Oo! You know some handspun might look good in that scarf!

Dame Wendy said...

The scarf looks great! I love the colors! :)

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

great choices! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Have a great vacation! Looks like perfect travel knitting projects. I love the colors of the scarf.

Unknown said...

Mass Ave knit shop is awesome. I've been there for their After Christmas sale before, and it's a complete, lovely madhouse. I wish it were my LYS. Except it needs spinning stuff in it, too. :)

Have fun at Hoosier Hills! Be sure to pick up some of the wool/seacell fiber from Creatively Dyed. I got some at Great Lakes Fiber Fest a few weeks ago, and it's absolutely amazing to spin.

Unknown said...

Nice scarf.

I always fear not having enough to knit too.

Jennie said...

Awesome scarf and ooohhh nice sock yarn it has a nice bit of glitz. :)