Sunday, June 22, 2008

K is for Kentiana

I've always liked house plants. But since the deer have decided to eat everything I plant outside; I've focused even more on the plants I have in the house. I'm choosing plants that are easy to grow and have something interesting about them, like flowers or shape.

This plant is a Hoya Kentiana. The leaves remind me of pea pods that have been split open and the plant does flower as you can see. The flowers are small, but interesting. This is the second time it has put out flowers this year. It is also very easy to grow and requires very little care; it likes to dry out between waterings.

6 comments:

Bezzie said...

That's pretty--is it a succulent?

mel said...

What a cool plant!!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

So pretty! This could be my kinda plant...I may not kill it if its easy to care for :)

Zonda said...

Very cool plant!!

Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right - it does looks like a pea pod. The flowers even hang like the pods. Nice find!!

Annalea said...

The only types of house plants I can keep are succulents. ;o) I've never seen this one before; I'll have to keep in in mind.

I need to post some pictures of the neighborhood we just moved into. It's on a mountainside, they'll just about put you in jail for cutting down a tree, and there is a LOT o' wildlife. Deer, rabbits, birds, tree rodents of varying types, etc. The yards everywhere are a study in deer-proof gardening. Lots of rhododendrons (since this is the coastal pacific northwest), evergreens (small & large, there are an astonishing array of sizes, shapes & colors), iris, poppies, and other things I haven't identified yet.

A good rule of thumb is that if the leaves are furry, thick, or scented (like basil, mint, sage, etc), the deer usually don't bother them.