Friday, June 20, 2008

Handspun Friday - Another 3-ply Yarn

I really enjoyed the process of spinning and plying the first 3-ply I did, so I decided to give another try. I think part of what made the first attempt come out so good was the Pigeon Roof Studios fiber. I liked how the splotches of color in the fiber translated into the yarn. I had one more braid of Pigeon Roof fiber, so I decided to use it here.

I've been trying to use more of the versatility my spinning wheel offers so I used the fast flyer this time and that let me spin at a high ratio (faster for all you non spinners). I think the higher ratio should allow me to spin a thinner yarn with a little less treadling effort. I did have a lot less breakage when I was spinning this time, but I also ended up with a thicker yarn. I do think the higher ratio helped. I just need to give it another shot and go for a slightly finer yarn.

I know one reason people don't like to make a typical 3-ply yarn like this is that you can end up with a lot of leftovers. I tried to avoid that problem. I took the original fiber and tried to divide it up into to as many long thin strips as possible. Then, I weight all the strips on my kitchen scale and divided that into three even piles.

Each pile of fiber is then spun onto a separate bobbin. Then I ply them together. It never fails, even with the weighing of the fiber, one bobbin runs out before the others. Once one bobbin is empty, I took the bobbin that had the most yarn left on it and wound that into a center pull ball. Then I plied the last of the yarn on the remaining bobbin with both ends of the center pull ball. I joined all the strands together so I could continue plying to the same skein. The photo shows what was leftover from the three ply - not very much at all. And, if you use this center pull ball technique when spinning a 2-ply yarn, you won't have any leftovers at all.

Geddesburg Handspun Yarn

Fiber Content: Super wash Merino


Fiber Source: Pigeon Roof Studios
Color: Jester
Weight: 4 oz
Yardage: 242 yards
WPI: 11 wraps per inch (average)
Spinning Style: worsted
Spinning Ratio: 17 to 1
Plying Ratio: 17 to 1
Notes: super wash; 3-ply

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again, beautiful yarn! I don't think I would have pictured it coming out the way it did from looking at the roving (which is also gorgeous). I've joined the 10 Minutes a day spinning group and my 10 minutes more often turns into 1/2 hour or more. Maybe now I'll get the practice I need to produce some pretty yarn like yours :)

Anonymous said...

That's good yardage for a three ply! It looks awesome, you've turned into a great spinner quickly!

Zonda said...

Wow, that is gorgeous!!! I love reading how you do it too!

Monika said...

It's lovely. I like how the fiber looked before spinning too.

Unknown said...

Nice! I love the combo of the turquoise and orange in the yarn. I really like the randomness of a non-navaho plied triple ply, too.

Bezzie said...

Wow that technique for the running out went right over my head. But you're right, I always have a little bit leftover each time!

Lovely three ply.

Anonymous said...

Of course I don't know the details of spinning but I sure like the end product. You are such a quick learner. Great job!!

gilraen said...

You really go from strength to strength!! Gorgeous looking yarn!! :)

bockstark.knits said...

great idea for using up the leftovers! it always amazes me how little actual white ends up in the yarn when it seems like almost the whole roving is white! :) it's gorgeous as usual!

Emily said...

That's truly beautiful. :)

mel said...

Gorgeous! I love the way the colors look in the finished yarn. And I like your technique of weighing your piles - I will have to try that! Do you do anything special to plan the color placement or just kind of let it do it's thing?