Friday, June 06, 2008

Handspun Friday - A Little Sparkle and Glitz

I started this spin with some fun batts that were lumpy, bumpy, and full of color. So I decided to try and spin a thick and thin single that would highlight all the color from the silk threads in the batts. This is the first time I've actually tried to spin an uneven yarn and I found it a little difficult to let go and get into the rhythm.

As I started spinning, I just didn't feel the whole process was going to turn out pleasing results. I found it challenging to keep the color on the outside of the spun yarn and not let it get twisted into the middle of the brown wool fibers. I had to keep adjusting my hold on the fiber. I'd say about halfway through I finally got into a groove and started to really enjoy what I was doing. Then then all of a sudden, the fiber was gone.

I like the finished yarn and in the end I really enjoyed spinning it up. I'm looking forward to finding another fun batt like this, but next time I think I'll try spinning it at a lower ratio. that might help me get a more lofty type yarn. I need to be more adventurous and try all the variations my wheel has to offer.

Geddesburg Handspun Yarn

Content: wool, alpaca, mohair, recycled silk, glitz
Fiber Source: Loop
Color: Natural Wonder
Weight: 3 oz
Fiber Preparation: carded batts
Yardage: 132 yards
Spinning Style: woolen
Spinning Ratio: 10 to 1P
Notes: thick and thin single; not plied; hand wash

8 comments:

Bezzie said...

Very cool! It almost looks like someone's hair with some tinsel in it.

Annalea said...

That looks like it was fun. :o) I'm in the early stages of succumbing to the spinning bug, myself. Just have to weed out a couple of other hobbies, first. ;o) How long have you been spinning?

Deb said...

Very cool!

Anonymous said...

Cool yarn!

Monika said...

I like the idea, of being more adventurous. I should try that too, but I LOVE yarn which is even. I think your yarn turned out great.

Zonda said...

Love the yarn! Good for you trying a new type of fiber. It's so cool in batt form too!

cpurl17 said...

More amazing stuff!

I'd love to see how that knits up!

turtlegirl76 said...

Wow! Sparkly! The batt turned out great!