Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Radical Lace and Subversive Knitting

I'm home from my trip, but I've been struggling to get caught up at home and at the office. This is always the worst part of taking time off - getting back and trying to get things up and moving again. I have some finished projects things to show you to - later on this week or over the weekend. I finished my scarf and little fingerless gloves. I just need to block the scarf and get the camera out to get some photos. I also had a sewing lesson from my mom while I was visiting. I have a couple finished projects thereto share too. My trip turned out to be very productive as far as crafting goes.

So, instead of leaving this space empty until I can catch myself up with everything, I thought I'd share some of the photos I took at the Radical Lace and Subversive Knitting Exhibit at the Indiana State Museum while I was on vacation.



  • photo 1: the knitted pieces in the first display that opened the exhibit and are accurate, life-size snake skin replicas
  • photo 2: crocheted lace tabled cloth edges in 3-d skulls
  • photo 3: dress knit out of dollar bills
  • photo 4: small scale replica of an actual knitting project; there was also a video of the actually knitting process next to this display
  • photo 5: handing display that included knitting from shoelaces and nautical rope
  • photo 6: lace cut with a torch out of found auto parts
  • photo 7: more car part lace
  • photo 8: Persian carpet meant to evoke the feeling of decaying lace
  • photo 9: carpet detail
  • photo 10: knit suit (including fingers and toes!) and a collection of knitting needle
  • photo 11: socks knit from newspaper
  • photo 12: evening dress
  • photo 13 - 14: there was a lady giving a spinning demonstration and she was spinning yarn with a combination of fiber, reclaimed/recycled yarn and small scraps from other projects. She knit the scarf (13) using such a hand spun yarn and a commercial yarn. The square (14) she is planning to put into a bag and it is knit with were scrap hand spun and the tan yarn is from a recycled sweater.

6 comments:

Zonda said...

Wow, thanks for sharing! Some wild stuff there!

Anonymous said...

What fantastic time you must have had

Monika said...

I'm speechless! Those are some awesome pictures. The ideas are fantastic! The decaying lace carpet, the dollar bill dress ... oh wow.

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Awesome! Glad you had a great trip with your mom!

turtlegirl76 said...

Wow. Those are some interesting projects! Socks from newspaper? Cool!

Theresa said...

Only someone like me that can knit and crochet and is ia mother of a gearhead can truly appreciate car part lace! I love it! :) I'm so glad you and your mom had this experience together.

Personally, I'd be tempted to frog the dress made out of dollar bills!!