Monday, February 18, 2008

A Weight Has Been Lifted

I can finally sit down in my knitting chair without dreading having to pick up these socks to knit. I finally finished them yesterday afternoon! I handed them to my hubby to look at and so I could take a picture of him wearing the socks. I haven't seen them since. That is good news - it just means there won't be any more pictures. He doesn't like waiting around for pictures to be taken.

These socks took me almost a year to knit and I'm ashamed of that. There is nothing especially complicated about these socks at all. They are knit with a simple ribbed pattern and I've knit more complicated socks, but for some reason I struggled with this pair.

I figure it could be the needles. I used US 0's to knit these. That didn't seem too bad. I knit them two at a time. This is the second time I've tried it, but the first time I finished a pair this way. The socks are 96 stitches around - that is almost thirty stitches more than I usually use per sock. It was probably a combination of things and mostly just in my head.

Next time I knit the man socks though, I'm going to need three skeins of yarn I think. These are a little short with just about a six inch leg, but I used almost all the yarn. I did like the yarn - Lorna's Laces. It is the first pair I've knit with this yarn. It made a nice feeling sock.

Project Info
Stitch Pattern: Waffle Rib
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock; 2 skeins
color: Pioneer (16)
Needles: addi TURBO - US# 0 (2 mm)
Notes: socks knit toe up; two at a time on two circulars; each sock was 96 stitches around

15 comments:

Nik said...

I'm dreading the day that I knit my boyfriend his first pair of socks.

He wears a size 12 shoe. I'm thinking about asking him if we can cut his toes down a bit so that it wouldn't take me that long to knit them. I don't think he'll like that idea, but it's worth a try *lol*.

Lazuli said...

The socks look great, though, and that is such a nice colorway for guy socks.

Dave said...

Well, that's a lot of knitting, but the socks are gorgeous. Perhaps sport weight next time?

Bezzie said...

Eeek. 96 stitches on size 0s? Yeah that would have taken me at least a year too!! But they turned out good.

And I dig your invisible coffee table there!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Great job!! They look fantastic!! I can understand the year...size 0's, all those stitches...for some reason I'm having a mini-mental block with Dad's Thujas (size 5s!!) because the socks are so long!! So glad you finished these!!

Monika said...

oh, boy, that's a lot of stitches! No wonder it took you forever. :o) Be glad that you didn't have more yarn, or they still wouldn't be done. They look nice though. I like the color and Lorna's Laces is comfortable to wear. I hope he likes them! I spy Sherman! :o)

Anonymous said...

TA DA!!!! Nothing else really needs to be said.....

turtlegirl76 said...

I agree with Dave. Go sportweight next time. I firmly believe that is the only way to go with men's socks.

Jennie said...

yay! for finished socks. I can feel your relief. Why do guys have such big feet? I was so glad to be done with my BF's socks and pretty much he's not gonna get another pair anytime soon. lol. Knitting them felt like for-ev-er...

Zonda said...

Hey..sportweight hehe..sorry, had to go there! Kudos to you for finishing them! Size 0's...yikes!! They look great! So glad for you that they are done! ;)

Batty said...

They're gorgeous, but man, size 0 needles for a man's sock. Urgh.

Lauren said...

I'm so glad you have them off your plate and can stop feeling guilty about them.

They turned out nice. I've been very happy with lorna's laces so far. My unfinished pair feels great, and my mom just loves hers.

Anonymous said...

Why does knitting for others always take longer than knitting for ourselves? ;o) They look great!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

congrats on finishing them!

mel said...

Hurray! You did it :) They look great, and definitely a good sign that you haven't seen them since!