Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Just Keep Stitching

Well, after I finished those socks, I got another baby hat knit for the Hats for Alex. This hat was knit using Lion Brand Landscapes and it took the whole skein. The skein came from my basket of ugly stash yarn. The pattern is the Jester Baby Hat by Cathy Campbell. I know it is kind of a goofy looking hat, but I liked it for some reason.

I've also picked up my little Silk Garden Halfobi and have made some more progress. I'm almost done with the ribbing on one side, only a row or two more and I'll be knitting the back. This thing is knit flat in one piece and then folded over and stitched together. You can kind of see how it is starting to take shape now.

I've also been spinning. I have some new handspun yarn to post on Friday and I've finished all five skeins I'm going to put together for that shawl I've been talking about. I'm hoping to start the shawl after I finish up Halfobi. Remember those merino batts I posted about a couple weeks ago? I spun them up into the two singles on the bobbins in the left in the photo above. The bobbins on the right are from some Bluefaced Leicester roving I bought from PigeonRoof Studios in a color called Flame. I'm hoping to ply both sets of singles this weekend.

This lovely fiber is what is up next and it is from Loop. She has beautiful spinning batts. The fiber is a mix of bamboo, English wool, Corriedale and tussah silk. I'm looking forward to trying out this blend of fibers. I'm not sure how I'm going to spin them up so I've laid them out on the table so I can look at them and think it over. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep the colors separate or mix them up for a more heathery combination. Let me know what you think.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I of course love the fiber from Loop - some of my favorite colors.
I would tend to leave the colors by themselves instead of mixing because they are so intense and rich the way they are. The baby hat is a real treat - it will be adorable on a little one!!!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention that I love the way the Halfobi is coming along. Those colors are wonderful. It seems to be knitting up fairly fast too which is always nice.

Bezzie said...

I saw that hat on pattern of the day and thought about making one for Alex too!

Can you spin half separating the colors and half combining the colors?

Monika said...

Little ones can get away with silly hats, and it is very cute! I like the colorway for your Halfobi. Your spun singles look great already! :o)

Zonda said...

Cute hat! Great progress on your Halfobi! Yikes, I gotta get my pictures up! Gorgeous colors in those spools and those batts too!! Yikes..decisions, decisions!

Anonymous said...

Good Grief woman, do you ever sleep?!


I love the silly Jester hat!

Jennie said...

Your spinning is soooo pretty. I love your color choices. :)

Lauren said...

The colors in your spools to the left, remind me of the colors on your Halfobi!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

The hat is so cute! The spinning looks great! you pick the best colors!

Deb said...

I didn't know we could decide things like that when we spun!!! Keep them separate then!

Leigh said...

Love the hat! So cute. *Digging through stash... I know there's Lanscapes here somewhere... from when I thought it would be easy to felt. Ha!* Thanks for the idea! :-D