Friday, February 22, 2008

Fiber Friday - Mmmmmm...Rich

I took a break from the Bluefaced Leicester and pulled out something else from my fiber stash to try. This is Wensleydale. Wensleydale sheep have a blue-grey face and have long, fine, and lustrous curly fleece. The sheep appear covered with long ringlets of yarn. The staple length of the fiber is usually about 8-12 inches.

Take a quick look at what the fiber looked like when it came to me. You can still see the waves from the curls. I'm not sure if you can truly see the shine and luster the fiber had, but it was beautiful. A little of the luster seems to be gone after spinning the yarn, and I'm not sure why.

This was nice to spin up actually. It was beautifully dyed and well prepared so drafting the fiber was easy. The yarn is nice but a little rough and scratchy. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I'm just enjoying the colors for now.

Details
Brand: Geddesburg Handspun Yarn
Content: 100% Wensleydale
Fiber Source: Hello Yarn
Skein Weight: 4 ounces
Skein Length: 216 yards
Spinning Ratio: 10 to 1
Plying Ratio: 9 to 1
Other Details: 2-ply, hand wash

11 comments:

Dave said...

Wow, that is gorgeous stuff!!!

Anonymous said...

Those colors are wonderful. The fiber itself was gorgeous. It does look scratchy but your spinning looks great. Such a talent....

gilraen said...

I'm learning alot about fibre from your posts! It looks really georgeous. What are you thinking of knitting with it?

Unknown said...

Swoon! I love the depth that the dark gray areas add. Fantastic job with the spinning, and now I'm all encouraged to get my hands on some Wensleydale fiber.

Bezzie said...

Mm...I love it. Very coppery.

Monika said...

So beautiful! Adrian does wonderful dye work. I haven't seen anything from her I didn't like. This yarn is so beautiful, I can't even express how much I like it!

Zonda said...

Sigh...another gorgeous one! How neat that the little curl stayed in. I can't wait to watch you spin one day ;)

Batty said...

Oh, my. The colors are so autumnal and Halloweenie, and they are plied together ever so seductively... *sigh*

turtlegirl76 said...

Ooooh very pretty! Love the firey colors!

mel said...

This is so pretty - Lovely spinning! And the colors are perfect.

Anonymous said...

I have this in my stash! Yours turned out great!