Tuesday, February 12, 2008

C is For Crochet

I must admit first thing - I did not crochet anything in this post. I do not know how to crochet and I'm usually okay with that. Although sometimes I see a knitting pattern that has a crocheted edging and I'll think about learning. But in the end I just substitute some type of knitted edging and go right along. I also have a desire to crochet a granny square afghan, but that is about it.

This crochet was done by my grandmother quite awhile ago. Last year she was cleaning out a closet and gave this to my mother. My mother showed it to my while I was visiting. We had a fun time trying to imagine my grandmother sitting in a chair using the small, no, tiny, steel hooks that were still inside the box. The pattern and extra crochet cotton were still there although both have yellowed with age.

The tablecloth was something my grandmother started as a deal with my grandfather before they were married. If she finished the table cloth, he would get her a dining table she wanted. Well she got the table but the tablecloth never got finished. The pattern shows some crochet between the circles and there were some circles in the box that were not attached to anything.

My mom does know how to crochet and used the existing circles to make the tablecloth as big as possible and now I have a beautiful family heirloom.

16 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

That is absolutely gorgeous!! A beautiful family heirloom indeed.

Deb said...

You are really lucky! That's a fabulous piece. You can easily learn to crochet - um, you taugh yourself to spin!!

cpurl17 said...

Its lovely! I think it makes a great table runner!

Monika said...

This is, indeed, a beautiful heirloom! Crochet is very easy. The hard part is reading the crochet symbols, at least for me, becasue they are not all like the ones I'm used to. But one can learn! The edging booklet looks very interesting!

Red Rocket said...

So pretty! Even for crochet, that's just long-term devotion to a single pattern. Thank goodness someone stills appreciates it.

mel said...

What a beautiful thing Shannon :) How wonderful to have it!

Bezzie said...

What a great story! I love that even back then, people weren't able to complete their WIPs ;-)

Stacie said...

that is such a great story! my grandma died before I learned how to knit, but she was a knitter... of the tp roll cover doilies and red heart variety. That is really beautiful!

turtlegirl76 said...

Wow. That is amazing! How wonderful that your mother was able to finish it and pass it on to you. That makes it even more special.

Zonda said...

That is gorgeous! In bloglines it is amazing! Great heirloom for you! :)

Jennie said...

That is one amazing family heirloom! Gorgeous. :)

gilraen said...

Stunning!! I envy anyone like your mum who can crochet, it is beyond me! :)

Thank you for sharing that it is beautiful :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you for being so proud of the tablecloth and the story behind it.
Crocheting is actually very easy! Someday you'll decide to learn how to do a single crochet -- and the rest will fall in place. Maybe your next visit...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love the comment by your mom, too. :o)

Anonymous said...

That certainly is a beautiful heirloom! Lucky you :-)

Nik said...

Wow, what a find.