Friday, February 10, 2006

Let the Games Begin!

Today is the beginning of the Knitting Olympics. There are over 4000 knitters ready to begin a new personal knitting challenge. Right now I'm at work wishing I was home. I have all of the necessary tools waiting for me as soon as I get there. I am ready to place all my other projects on hold and concentrate on one single goal for the next 16 days. I am set to finally knit my first pair of socks and actually complete them. If I don't complete the socks in the allotted time, I have threatened to trade away all the stashed sock yarn I have. I'm not willing to let it come to that.

Anyway, my goal is to complete a pair of socks using the two circular needle method before the Olympic flame is extinguished in Torino on February 26. I'll be using size 1 Addi Turbos and Opal sock yarn from the Rainforest Collection in Parrot. The colors kind of have a red white and blue Olympic spirit.

I'll be using the two circular method because I just cannot figure out how to hold a set of double pointed needles and keep their movement coordinated. I've tried it. I didn't like it at all. It sucked all the fun right out of knitting. So I got Cat Bordi's book Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles and learned the technique. I actually learned this last fall. I just haven't started any socks yet. I did manage to complete a spiral putter cover for hubby. He seemed pleased with the cover. I liked using the two circular needles a lot. Plus it is another great excuse to stock up on more sizes of Addi Turbos. I love those needles. This still doesn't justify having all that sock yarn stashed away though. I havn't knitted one sock and have stashed away enough sock yarn for over a dozen pair. This sock yarn thing does not relate at all to my stockpiled Kureyon though. That is completely different of course. I have completed many projects using that yarn and actually all that Kureyon is waiting to become already specified projects. Most will be turned into gifts for this Christmas. I can totally jsutify that part of the stash. But this sock yarn is different. I think I should have to complete at least one pair of hand knit socks to justify buying more sock yarn. I want more sock yarn. How can you not like sock yarn. If I can complete this pair of socks, than I can justify all the sock yarn I already have and maybe even pick up a new ball or two as a prize. Right?

No comments: