Monday, November 17, 2008

The Three Year Scarf with a Hat to Match

I was going through my stash in search of yarn for a project and came across this project all bunched up in a bag. I had about 5-6 inches of the scarf knit and it was still on needles. I think this was the WIP that had been hanging around the longest.

I started this project back in 2005 when the pattern came out in the winter issue of Interweave Knits. I loved the scarf when I first saw it and set about finding the yarn that was used in the photo. It actually turned out to be difficult to find, but I finally found some in a small shop in Kansas and ordered five balls and a hat pattern the shop keeper had too.

I started the project as soon as the yarn came, but something was off. I didn't really like how the project was turning out. I didn't think the yarn really looked like the scarf in the original photo. So everything got shoved into a bag and then into the closet.

I re-started the project by frogging everything I had and decided on a slight pattern modification. The original pattern calls for moss stitch, but the boucle type yarn really obscured the pattern, so I decided on a simple garter stitch instead.

The pattern called for two skeins, but I used four. I think you'd have to use a minimum of three to even get the short length the pattern mentioned. I like the scarf in the end - but think it would have been more fun in a self-striping yarn. I seem to remember the original looking like it striped.

The hat is nice. It has an interesting construction. It was knit flat in garter stitch using two different sizes of needles and then seamed up. It is an interesting hat - but it is probably a one time knit.

Scarf Project Info
Pattern: Fickle Fingers Scarf
By: Gayle Roehm
From: Interweave Knits; Winter 2005
Yarn: Ethno by Zitron; 50g/90m; 4 skeins
Fiber Content: 85% new wool, 15% nylon
Color: 10
Needles: addi TURBO Needles - US# 8
Measurements: Length: 70.5"; Width 6.5"
Notes: I started with the Fat Finger version of the pattern and changed the moss stitch to garter stitch.

I started this project in 2005 shortly after the pattern came out. I finished it almost three years later.


Hat Project Info
Pattern: Ethno Hat
By: Kennita Tully
From: Wildflower Yarns and Knitwear
Yarn: Ethno by Zitron; 1 skein
Needles: addi TURBO Needles - US# 8 and US# 11

7 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Bet it feels good to get a very long ago WIP done!! I have a few that if they don't get done soon, they may have to go to the frog pond come January!

Julie said...

I have one of those kind of projects in a bag just waiting for me to get back to it. I'm glad you decided to finish your it looks great!

Zonda said...

Woohoo! Tis done! Neat hat too! Yay for having some needles free to LOL!

Anonymous said...

One more thing to cross off the list and it looking great is a side bonus. I really like the patterns.

Bezzie said...

Mmm..it's making me hungry for lasagne!

Jennie said...

Love the craziness!

Anonymous said...

very cute
mdknitr