Monday, November 24, 2008

Scarf Season

It is finally scarf wearing season down here in North Carolina. It is one of my favorite projects to knit around this time of year. With all the holiday commitments and travel, scarves are small projects that can be carried around easily and just a little work can get you a lot closer to a finished project.

I like the idea of being able to sample a couple of interesting skeins of yarn and come away with a nice wearable project. Scarf yarn is one of my favorite travel souvenirs. Simple patterns or complex lace; handspun, leftover snippets, or pricey store bought yarn - a scarf can be anything you want.

I started off this scarf season by knitting a striped scarf in the style that Brooklyn Tweed highlighted on his blog. I've always loved stripes and I've wanted one of these scarves ever since I saw his. But this scarf isn't going to be mine. I think it looks best on Brad, so it will be his.

The scarf was easy and I finished it within a week of starting. If you plan on knitting one for yourself, if you haven't already, I only have one thing to point out. Watch you color combinations in the Silk Garden. The stripes can disappear if the colors match in both skeins at just the wrong time.

Project Info
Stitch Pattern: 1x1 ribbing
Yarn: Silk Garden by Noro; 4 skeins
Color: 249 & 211 (two skeins of each color)
Needles: addi TURBO Needles - US# 7
Measurements: Length: 94"; Width 4"
Notes: I cast on 30 stitches. If you want the stripes to really show up pick colors that contrast as much as possible.

10 comments:

bockstark.knits said...

Gotta love that Noro! It's gorgeous!

Trillian42 said...

That's a beautiful scarf! And hubby's quite the handsome devil.

Julie said...

He looks really good in that scarf. I love noro its so fun to work with.

Karen said...

Great scarf! The colorways look great on your husband!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

love that scarf! I,m glad to hear I'm not the only who loves knitting scarves, I keep thinking at some point I'll have too mnay lol

Bezzie said...

Your boys look so serious in that photo! Hee hee!!

Nice scarf--very manfriendly but not boring to knit I'm sure!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Definitely a great scarf for hubby! Looks perfect on him! Great job!

Zonda said...

Great pictures of hubs (and of Sherman too!) Love that scarf!

Jennie said...

looks great!

Annalea said...

I'm finally succumbing to the Noro Scarf bug . . . but budget dictated that I use Jojoland Harmony. I've ordered purples & oranges, so we'll see what kind of wild scarf I end up with.

Yours (er, Brad's) is lovely!