Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Two Down; Two To Go

I'm getting closer to having all my Lizard Ridge squares complete. Then it will be on to blocking out all the squares and seeming them together. I'm looking forward to seeing this blanket finished.

The square on the left is out of color number 153 and the square on the right is color number 40. I previously used color 40 to make a felted bag for my mother in law. I love all the blues and one of the remaining squares will be out of a mostly blue color. The last square is still undecided. I have a total of two squares left to make but three skeins of Kureyon from which to choose. I'm not yet sure who'll make the cut yet.

I do love all the bright vivid colors of the random Kureyon skeins I've used, but I still feel a little bit bad because I have absolutely no intention of ever using this blanket. Don't get me wrong, it isn't because I think it will be too special to use or anything like that. I'm not the type to have towels hanging in the bathroom that aren't meant to be used. If I have it, you can use it.

I think this will be more decorative because the feel of the yarn. I picked the yarn knowing this in advance. But now I think as I'm getting close to having it finished, I realize I'm not going to be curling up with this blanket and it is a little sad.

On another note, I want to thank everyone for posting a random fact in the comment section of the previous post. You guys make for some interesting reading!

13 comments:

Desiree said...

You could always sew a soft, pretty fabric onto the back of it like a flannel so that you can use it!

Anonymous said...

Oh Shannon, That's a shame that you won't be able to use this what will be a beautiful blanket.

Can you put it on a spare bed?

Deb said...

It'll soften up after you block it a bit - don't you think?? Or throw it in the dryer with a Bounce sheet or something. Or, it's perfectly OK to stand back and stare at it forever too.

cpurl17 said...

How long does it take you to knit a square?

I'm wondering if the blanket will soften after blocking--It's too pretty to hide away!

Anonymous said...

Are you talking about the rough feel of the yarn? We have a wool military blanket (Olive drab) that DH has from his days in the Navy. It is the warmest thing ever. We just use it with a sheet or other blanky under it. You might want to rethink not using your lovely Lizard Ridge.

It's gonna be super snuggly in the cold.

Ang

Bezzie said...

Oh god, backing it in theory would be a good idea but lemme tell you what a PITA backing a baby blanket in flannel was! Plus the blanket is like super hot too! Wool and flannel in SC might melt you!!! ;-)

I cannot WAIT to see this all put together though!!!

Do you have a guest room/bed you could spread it over??

Monika said...

I'm sensitive too, but let me tell you! I've used and loved my Noro Kureyon blanket! It's garter stitch, maybe that makes the differnce? ;o) But really, I don't put it on my naked skin, O.K. it's not soft, but it doesnt' bother me at all. Hope you can use it, at least a little?! You could always give it to Sherman (just kidding). But Sam loves my blue pillow. Since I put it on one of our 2 sofa's he's always jumping up there and puts his big head on it with a sigh. At first I wanted to jank it out under him, but now I'm glad it's being loved. ;o)
P.S. Don't throw it in the dryer!!!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Love love love the blues!! Can't wait to see this all done :) Then you can start the STR blankie :) (oh, and its knit on size 6 needles...I'm not sure if I got back to you about that!).

Zonda said...

I too can't wait for the final view! I would not attempt a backing...stretch city IMHO. I'd try washing it though..but you know, I have quilts that hang on a wall, never to be used as covers, so this could be your artwork too! :)

Batty said...

Yes, I was thinking lining too. If you line it in something pretty, comfy and durable, you can curl up with your new blankie without destroying the knitting!

gilraen said...

I think it would make a very pretty throw for a rocking chair etc. I would love to see all the squares you used so far. I have some 95 and some 92 and am tempted based on your squares alone. :)

Anonymous said...

How about the bed covering in the 2nd bedroom upstairs? It might look great with the wall treatment.
It will be a wonderful piece when it's finished and you'll love looking at it as you walk by....

Anonymous said...

These squares are so beautiful - I'm totally in love with these colorways! Perfect! And as Gilraen said, I would also really love to see all the squares that you used so far!