Monday, November 13, 2006

Giant Sock

I decided to start a project for the Norovember KAL I signed up for and went looking through my stash for something to start. I had my mind set on a felted bag or starting a square for the Lizard Ridge afghan.

I found four skeins of Noro #80 that I got as part of a Kureyon grab bag I bought on the cheap. I figured I could use one ball for a square for Lizard Ridge - but what to do with the other three skeins. The colors really aren't something I'd want in a bag or anything. But I remembered I had a pattern book that had a felted Christmas stocking. So I decided to start with that.

The pattern I started with was in the Interweave Press book Christmas Stockings - 18 Holiday Treasures to Knit. The pattern itself was called Christmas Rainbow Surprise. The pattern calls for 265 yards - so I figured I had enough to give it a try.

The pattern called for knitting the stocking on US#8 needles,, which seems a little small to me for an item that is supposed to be felted. I decided to use US#11 needles instead. This thing came out BIG! Right now at the longest point it measures 33 inches. We'll have to see how much it shrinks in the washer though. I hope to get it felted this week. Hopefully it will look good enough to hand on the mantle this Christmas.

7 comments:

Bezzie said...

Woah! That's huge! Can't wait to see it felted!

Angela said...

That thing is monstrous! Hope it felts down to size...think it will...besides, it's a christmas stocking, so it's supposed to be a little on the big side, right:)

Ang

knottygnome said...

wow, that is intense. i'm sure it'll make a fabulous xmas stocking.

Anonymous said...

The stocking looks like it should be Sherman's - they are about the same size...

Kathleen said...

That looks really great. Brave of you to take on such a big sock- at least there's only one! The colours blend in so well with your blog header too.

Dave said...

Wow, very cool!! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Zonda said...

Amazing!!! That is one heck of a sock! Can't wait for the finished product! Nice job! :)