The Wind and Waves Shawl is finished. I finished last weekend. I began last Saturday by trying to get my second hank of the yarn into a center pull ball. Well somehow the hank was all twisted and tangled around itself . I'm not sure how it happened. Maybe it came that way. I've never had as much trouble trying to wind a hank.
I took it off my swift and tried to do it by hand. It took me six hours to ball up that 550 yard hank! There were a couple times in the beginning that I almost just tossed the entire hank out the window and went on to something else. But I decided that the since this was supposed to be a gift - I'd continue. The pattern called for 700 yards of worsted weight yarn. I ended up using less. I'm going to guess about 100 yards less. The pattern also called for needles sized US #10 - I ended up using 11's. The finished size listed in the pattern was 30"x 62". I came very close to that finished size.
You can see from the above picture where the second skein begins. I guess I should have knit a couple rows from each ball so that distinct line wouldn't be there. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. I don't think I'm going to frog the entire shawl and start again - especially after the fun with that last hank of yarn. I'm not sure I'm going to gift it anymore though.
I do like the pattern and it was very easy to work. I have enough of this yarn left to make another similar shawl . Here is a close up of the pattern and the details.
Pattern: St. Seraphina Knits -
Wind and Waves Shawl
Yarn: Great Adirondack "Montana" -
Needles: addi TURBO US# 11
Finished Width: 28 inches
Finished Height: 63 inches