I've decided to use Mission Falls Cotton. It is machine washable and the ball band indicates that you can tumble dry on low heat. I ordered my yarn on last Monday and had it by that Friday. It is a lot of yarn. I picked out thirteen colors and ordered five skeins of each. The Mission Falls has a nubby texture that I really like. I think it will give the finished afghan a homey feel.
The color palette from left to right:
Row One: #402 - Sea, #302 - Wintergreen, #209 Maize, #207 - Chili
Row Two: #302 - Fennel, #303 Jade, #100 - Ebony, #208 - Merlot, #206 - Peony
Row Three: #400 - Fog, #304 - Moss, #204 - Lentil, #200 - Musk
I didn't do any math before ordering the yarn. So I'm not sure how large the finished project will be. I plan on knitting individual squares and them seeming them together. I will just continue making squares until I run out of yarn. I'm also going to add a knitted border to the finished afghan. I like the idea of playing around with the layout of the squares. I know from looking at Log Cabin quilts that there are a number of ways to lay out the squares and that each way will produce a different pattern for the afghan.
I did make a swatch and threw it in the washer with a load of clothes and then it went directly into the dryer. It came out fine. It was a little fuzzier and it had shrunk just a little bit. I am using Addi Turbos in size 6 US for the knitting.
I did finish one square over the weekend. The square ended up being 9.5 inches wide and tall. It took me a while. I don't think that this will be a long term project that I can pick up between other things.