Friday, April 21, 2006

H is for Hindu Rope

This plant is a member of the Hoya family and is technically called Hoya carnosa Compacta. It's common names are Hindu Rope or Krinkle Kurls plant. Those names are a lot more fun and easier to remember. This plant is somewhat unusual, but surprisingly it is usually available at the big home improvement stores. That is were I bought this one a couple years ago.

The plant is a slow grower, but very easy to keep alive. This one lives out on the covered porch during the summer and inside near a bright window during the colder months. This is a close up of the curled leaves.

There is also a variegated variety that has predominately green and white leaves with little touches of pink. I've also read that these plants are fairly easy to propagate - so I'm going to try taking some cuttings this weekend. If the plant is allowed to get root bound - it will bloom. The blooms don't look real to me. They look like little plastic balls made up of small pink flowers - take a look. This one has not bloomed for me, but I'm hoping it will next year. I think it still has a while to go to fill out the big pot I used.

10 comments:

Bezzie said...

Is that a succulent? That's a really cool plant. I've actually never seen anything like that before. Good H!!

sgeddes said...

Hey bezzie - I should have metnioned that! Yes, this is a succulent. Although soem hoyas are not.

Anonymous said...

Wow- the blooms do look plastic, very cool. I hope it blooms for you too.

Zonda said...

That is awesome! Love it, looks like something I couldn't kill! LOL!

Carolyn said...

Great photos! It looks a bit triffid like - as if those tendrils are coming to get you ;)

Luttibelle said...

I just stumbled across one this weekend!! My little single rope is about 8" long (if you pulled it straight). I had no idea it could produce those beautiful pink flowers. The lady at the plant place didn't know too much about it. I hope I don't kill it and can get it to flower for me. Would welcome any tips on raising it. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

the hindu rope plant is related to the hoya they have different leaves but are both easy to take care of neither need lots of water but make sure that where ever you place it it likes it there. It took four years before mine started growing the flowers.

Anonymous said...

don't over water it, i tend to ignore mine i live in south texas so you know its hot here. i only bring it indoors if there is going to be a freeze yeah right lol i also keep mine out of the direct sun porch area is good it took four years for mine to bloom. its related to the hoya which looks completely different but they bloom the same flowers which are called wax flowers.

Anonymous said...

we love ours ... we got it from an uncle, who had it for about 20 years. he never transplanted it, and it must be completely root bound. the pic that's shown for the flower is exactly what it looks like - almost like it's plastic! we hardly water ours ... it hangs in front of my kitchen window. we get lots of comments on it.

Lady Alhanna said...

Don't let the plant soak in water, but if you water it more often, you will have more blossoms.