Wednesday, April 19, 2006

2 Socks on 2 Circular Needles - Update

Progress on my socks is happening although not at lightning quick speed. I knitted the leg portion about six inches. I didn't count rows, just pulled out a tape measure and will measure the pairs. The nice part about this technique if I was doing two of the SAME sock simultaneously - no measuring, row counting or guessing.

On the other hand, having the two different colored yarns has been nice. It is so easy to see when to change yarns; I was afraid that the first couple of times I tried this I would forgot to switch balls in between socks and would spend an inordinate amount of time unknitting. Hopefully, I'll be past that little glitch for the next pair.

As you can see I've turned the heel for both socks. I knitted the heel flaps on each sock at the same time. I turned the heel on sock one, then turned the heel for sock two. I actually like turning the heel on socks. It's quick and it is neat to see the little cup shape form for your heel so quickly.

I referenced instructions after I turned the heels to figure out picking up the gusset stitches, and apparently I should have picked up one side of the gusset stitches in between turning the heels. So now I need to figure out how I'm going to catch myself up with the stitches that should be on the needle.

I really like this method for sock knitting. I think once I get the gusset stitches figured out, it will be smooth sailing! I had wanted to try a new heel for these socks, but didn't get around to it. I ordered the Sensational Knitted Socks book and it came after I had started the heel flaps. So I'll wait until next time to try a different heel.

3 comments:

Zonda said...

Those socks are looking good! Keep it up!

Amy said...

nice job, I'm still plugging away one at a time

Anonymous said...

Socks are looking great! Two at a time has to be more interesting. You'll get the hang of changing balls in no time.