Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Handspun Friday - Step One (The Plan)

I've got a couple more skeins of handspun in the works, but they aren't read to post about yet. So I decided to post about a planned spinning project today. This fiber is Falklands wool in a color called Five Plum Pie from Hello Yarn. There is 2.5 pounds of fiber in the photo below divided into 4 ounce bags. The first 8 ounces was from a fiber club shipment. The rest I purchased when extra dyed fiber was made available to club members. I wanted enough for a sweater.

My ultimate goal is to get all this fiber spun up before the baby arrives. I'm hoping to be able to start knitting my first handspun sweater while I'm home on maternity leave. I'm planning on knitting the Panel Jacket by Carol Lapin (on Ravelry). I like the idea of a wool jacket - I think I'll get more use out if it than wool pullover. I rend to wear jackets and cardigans over t-shirts for easy layering and un-layering as needed.

I'll need about 1600 yards of worsted weight yarn to knit this project and that seems very possible with the amount I've fiber I've set aside. I'll need to get around 200 yards of yarn from each 4 ounce bag. That would mean I'd end up with just a little extra and could make my jacket longer if I'd like. Or more than likely, it will allow for a little wiggle room to accommodate for variation in the hand spinning.

My grand plan is to chronicle this spinning project on Fridays between postings of finished handspun. This would be my first sweater spinning project and I think I want to approach it with a little more planning than I use when I'm spinning a single skein or two. So, I thought sharing the entire spinning project instead of just a finished yarn would be a nice change.

9 comments:

Dave said...

Oh, this will be interesting! I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great plan! Love the colors you chose. It's going to be fun to follow your progress.

Bezzie said...

Man that is gorgeous! And I know you've seen my picture of Moochie on my lap as a teeney baby while I'm spinning--don't let the little one slow you down!

turtlegirl76 said...

Wow. You picked a really stunning colorway. It's so pretty!

Walden said...

Very nifty! I love seeing the progress, looking forward to it.

Zonda said...

Gorgeous colors!!! Look forward to seeing the progress!

Mom said...

Wow what great colors! I've been very remiss in checking the blog everyday and tonight I found all this new and exciting entries.
The panel jacket looks very similar to the jacket we picked out at Mass Ave the last time you were in town. Is it the same?? I love the design and may consider it for myself when I get finished with all the things I'm involved in right now. Looking forward to following the progress of the panel jacket. I love the colors.

Batty said...

That fiber is giving me a fiber rush just from looking at it! So pretty, and it should make a great colorful sweater.

Andi said...

That jacket pattern willl be perfect for your handspun! Can't wait to see it in progress.
Congrats on the coming little one! Our first was a boy, born on Feb. 1. 21 years ago. Seems like yesterday. :)