Friday, August 08, 2008

Handspun Friday - Finally, a Regular Color

I'm not really sure what a regular color is, although my husband said when I should him this finished skein "You finally spun something that is a regular color". I think that is husband code for "I like it".

Well, I like it too and for more reasons than the color. This yarn actually turned out fairly consistent. It is a little more fuzzy than the other super wash I've used, but this wasn't labeled as merino. It isn't as soft either. But it is still very nice. I didn't expect the yarn to be as dark as it is either. I assumed the white sections in the fiber would show up more in the finished yarn.

I'm pleased that I got so much yardage, 460 yards, from one 4 ounce braid of fiber. This skein is 3-ply and with this yardage I should be able to knit up a nice pair of socks.

Geddesburg Handspun Yarn

Fiber Content: Super wash combed wool top
Fiber Source: Fat Cat Knits
Color: Bruin
Weight: 4 oz
Yardage: 460 yards
WPI: 18-20 wraps per inch (average)
Spinning Style: worsted
Spinning Ratio: 17 to 1
Plying Ratio: 17 to 1
Notes: super wash; 3-ply

14 comments:

Dave said...

Regular? Hmm. I wonder if he'd say the unspun top was "regular". It's interesting how the white, and even the red/pink and purple bits, all blended in to give warmth and depth to the gold/brown tones. Me likey lots!!

Monika said...

460yds of 3-ply of 4oc!!! That's super great. And it will be enough for a pair of socks. IT's like Trekking, the yardage I mean. Fat Cat Knits roving always surprises me as well. I've got to go diving in my stash to unearth some of it. Well done once again. :o)

Bezzie said...

Oh wow, that's beautiful! And look how thin!

Deb said...

"Goldilocks" is what came to my mind. It's beautiful - of course! Can't wait to see it knit up!

Anonymous said...

Another great skein of color. The individual strands are really even and very thin!

Anonymous said...

OMG, this is gorgeous! And yes, I totally would have never guessed that the white would almost entirely disappear during the spinning. Beautiful job!

gilraen said...

I agree with DH, lovely yarn!!! Is he angling for socks? :)

punkin said...

Beautiful handspun. I am fascinated with how the nature of the color changes from the fiber to the handspun.

Zonda said...

Excellent handspun there! Gosh that is so fine too! Hehe yeah I think he wants socks...although I'd be wanting to knit his with worsted ;)

turtlegirl76 said...

I think Dave's got it. I bet because the top blended so wonderfully, it created an even colored skein. Not your usual multi-hued. It's gorgeous!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! That is going to make some pretty socks!

So interesting to see what the roving looked like initially. Never would have envisioned that the yarn would come out that way. Cool!

bockstark.knits said...

oh so pretty! love the color!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, as usual. Your spinning is absolutely incredible!

Annalea said...

That's really beautiful. I don't know about "regular" color . . . I would call it an exceptional color. (Then again, you know what they say about men and color names. ;o)

I never would have guessed in a million years that top would have turned into that yarn. I love seeing the before and after. It's so interesting. :o)