Monday, March 17, 2008

Three for One

I started with one skein of Socks That Rock medium weight and ended up with three knit items and a few scraps of yarn leftover. First, I finished the socks I started last week. It was so nice to finish a pair of socks so quickly. I think the key this time was using size 3 needles instead of the zeros from last time. The pattern is nice and simple but I think that the strong colors of the yarn obscure it just a little bit. The socks are nice and squishy. The thicker weight is nice, but not too thick. I'd definitely use this combination again.



I was also able to get a small baby hat out of the leftovers. I'll put this one in the Hats for Alex bag I've got going. The hat is small but should fit a newborn. I didn't really follow a pattern for this, just started at the bottom with a little 2x2 ribbing and worked my way to the top and finished off with a little bit of icord.

I also had enough yarn for an afghan square too. I've had a couple people ask about the squares, so I'll make a post this week or next that describes how I make the squares.

Project Info
Pattern: Ampersand Socks from Through the Loops!
Yarn: Socks That Rock - medium weight
color - Chapman Springs
Needles: addi TURBO - US# 3 (3.25 mm)
Notes: Changed pattern to go toe up and use a short row toe and heel

13 comments:

Deb said...

That's a beautiful color. And really - isn't it four things?

Anonymous said...

I wish I could do socks that fast!! That color is really nice. That little hat is sooooo cute!!!

Lauren said...

I love the color! So cool you got three things out of it. :)

Jennie said...

Another great pair of socks! And what a great thing you are doing with hats for alex. :)

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Look at you go! Aren't those socks great! It sure does work nicely with that colorway (which is absolutely gorgeous!!). Love the cute hat too!

Can't wait to see the blanket update too!

Zonda said...

Holy cow woman! You sure breezed through those socks and 2 more items! I wish I had your fast skillz..yeah I know size 3's but geesh! :)

Monika said...

All that from one skein of yarn! And a lovely one at that. :o)

gilraen said...

I agree super fast knitting and lovely items :)

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

great colors! i can't believe you got all that from one skein!

Stacie said...

them some rockin socks! i can't wait for the mitered square blanket pay-off!!!

Anonymous said...

You certainly know how to get the most out of a skein of yarn, don't you? Beautiful, beautiful colors! I love the socks and the little hat is just too cute with the icord top.

cpurl17 said...

It's like an Everlasting Gobstopper of yarn!

Batty said...

How very pretty! The socks are gorgeous, the hat is adorable (what a cute little curlicue at the top!), and the square is happy-colorful too. The neverending yarn has been found. Who knows, maybe it only has one end?