If you remember last week's handspun post, I commented a lot on the fiber weight and speculated on how that was affecting my over finished yardage. Well talk about foreshadowing, while I was working with this fiber Miss Scarlett helped her self to a sample and chewed it up and spread it all over the dining room. So I didn't get to spin all the fiber I had, some did not survive the attack.
So the only weight I have this week is the finished weight. But as Dave pointed out in the comments last week, a little more fiber alone wouldn't give me the yardage I was wanting. He's right of course, the amount of fiber I was talking about would not make a significant contribution to yardage. So I sat down this week and thought of all the things I could do to get more yardage out of my fiber. I got over 40 yards more this week than last . The variable this time is twist.
This week I really concentrated on twist and made an effort to put less twist in my singles and my plying. The net result was 42 more yards and my finished yarn is a little bit softer . You can also see that the WPI measurement is quite a bit different too. So a little less twist made the fiber go further and it is a little more lofty and less dense. I like the results.
I haven't started a skein for next week, but I'm hoping to do that today. I'm thinking about another try at chain plying this time.
Geddesburg Handspun Yarn
Fiber: All Spun Up
Content: Superwash Merino
Fiber: combed top
Weight: 3.80 ounces (finished yarn)
Yardage: 258 yard
WPI: 12 wraps per inch
Spinning Style: worsted
Spinning Ratio: 10 to 1
Plying Ratio: 10to 1
Notes: 3 ply