Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Nifty New Knitting & Fiber Tools

I had been looking to expand my knitting needle selection and was considering buying some of interchangeable needles. Zonda brought some of her fabulous needle cases she makes specifically for interchangeable needles to SAFF. I couldn't resist and bought a case on the spot. I ordered the needles when I got home and now I've got needles to go into my cool new case. You can get your own case in Zonda's Etsy shop.

The needles fit nicely in the case and I have lots of room for expanding my collection. My original goal was to get some needles and long cables so I can knit my STR log cabin throw and keep the needles in the live stitches. So for this plan, I'd need a total of 4 size US 6 needles on 60" cables.

I usually use addi Turbos and didn't want to go that expense for needles I probably wouldn't use again - so I decided to go for the Knitpicks Harmony Interchangeable needles and ordered a few needles and cables. I ordered 4 60"cables not realizing that 2 cables come in each package. So now I have a total of 8 60" cables. I need to read a little more carefully before hitting the order button.

But my favorite new knitting toy is my spindle. I haven't done a lot with it yet. I did spin up a 2oz ball of unknown pink fiber that I got at SAFF. The picture above is my first spindle full. I've taken this off the spindle and it is waiting to be plied with the results of my second attempt - pictured below. I've thought about just tossing this out and starting fresh - but I figure I can make an attempt at plying anyway. I'll be sure and post the results.

I've been using the park and draft method while sitting in a chair. It is slow going, but I think my second attempt, while still fairly thick is at least a little consistent. I've ordered a book by Priscilla A. Gibson-Roberts about spinning on a high whorl spindle. I'm going to try plying this weekend and hopefully I'll have a chance to try spinning something else. If you've got a favorite book or website about spinning - please share. I'd like to read more.

8 comments:

Bezzie said...

Your spinning is coming along...I never had the patience for spindle spinning.

I've got a first generation Z case--I love it!!!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

I love my case like that! She even made me a matching one for dpns recently! Yours is very pretty!

Zonda said...

Awesome spinning there!! Yay!

Well, now we know who to borrow 60" cables if we need them ;) Glad you like the case! :) They look good in there! :)

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Won't it be nice to say, we knew her before she was famous :) Those needlecases are fantastic!! Love the color of yours!

The spinning is looking good!

cpurl17 said...

Z cases--

All the cool kids have one

Lauren said...

Spinning is so cool! I like your pink fiber, don't toss it out. You MADE it!

Monika said...

Your first fiber looks way bettern than mine did! The needle case is cute.

Jennie said...

I love your case! I've been eying the KP needle sets too. :) Maybe I may just give in and get me some for Christmas. :) ehhehe