This project is finally ready for a done stamp! I finished the sleeves and the weaving in all the loose ends last night. As you can see, I knit the long sleeve version. I used a worsted weight yarn and skipped the pocket on the front on the sweater.
I never really did get the right gauge according to the pattern specifications. My knitting was just too tight to get gauge. The pattern called for US #7 needles and I ended up using US #8s. I didn't really want to go up another needle size because I liked the fabric I was getting. I thought going up another size might make the fabric too loose.
So I decided to cast on for a larger size. I figured that would be okay since this sweater is knit from the top down and I could try it on as I went and make adjustments as needed.
Almost all the finished versions of this sweater I've seen show a nice form fitted sweater. My version fits more like an old baggy sweatshirt. I realized when I separated the sleeves from the body and tried it on for the first time that it was going to be big.
I think the odd thing is that for the size I cast on for (52-55"), the pattern called for 11oo yards of yarn. I ended up using about 1300 yards (with no pocket) and ended up with a sweater two sizes smaller (44-47").
I do have a couple of very important lessons to take away from knitting my first sweater. The first one is that everyone is right - gauge does matter; take the time and get it right. The second is I really need to learn about ease and knitting a sweater to fit me.
The good news is that I can always cozy up with this sweater on a cold night. It will be much better than wearing it outside in July in 90+ degree weather to get a picture. I now know what Sherman feels like on these days!
Pattern: Wicked from Zephyr Style
Yarn: Artyarns Supermerino; color # 114
12.5 skeins used
Needles: addi TURBO -US# 8 (5 mm)
Pattern Size: 52-55"
Finished Size: 47"
Pattern Modifications: I knit the long sleeve version and left off the pocket.