Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Blanket Binge

I now realize I may have an abnormal fixation with knitted blankets. I've started another blanket. This one is going to be a log cabin style throw using Socks That Rock heavy weight from blue Moon Fiber Arts. I've seen several different versions of these crop up in blog land and I decided I wanted to knit one for myself.

The biggest decision I figured would be choosing the colors I wanted to use. As you might guess from seeing a lot of the things I knit and a lot of the yarn I buy, I like a lot of color. I think a blanket is the perfect place to use colors you like but may be a little too obnoxious for everyday garments.

I generally use a blanket to curl up with when I'm cold or not feeling well. I figure that is a perfect time for a little shot of color. So I picked three colors of Socks that Rock in the heavy weight variety to use for my blanket. Starting with the center square, I'm using the Lemongrass color, then moving on the Knitty Rocks (pink, red, and green), and Thistle (purple, blue, and green).

I'm sure these colors aren't' for everyone, but it is only a blanket. I really like the colors, but I have this thought in my mind of someone seeing it years from now and wondering what in the hell was I thinking when I picked these colors. Just like when you see some of those awful color choices people made in the 70's. At worst it can always be stored in a closet when it isn't being used. But for now, I am happy knitting with the colors.

I have two skeins of each color and the plan is to continue knitting around in one big log cabin square until the yarn runs out. I don't know if you can tell from what is already knit, but I'm placing the colors so they swirl around the blanket. I'm not planning on speeding through this project; I think it might take awhile. I plan to keep it next to my TV chair for when I need some mindless garter stitch knitting.

16 comments:

Batty said...

Blankie!

Hi, my name is Batty, and I also have a blanket obsession. Only not just for the hand-knit kind, our entire house is full of different kinds of blankets and comforters. There's nothing wrong with that, I tell you!

Love the colors you're using. I think they look less 70's together than they would individually.

Bezzie said...

I love the way you're thinking into the future with it. Hee! I had fun with my (albeit a block version) log cabin for mindless TV knitting.

Sue J. said...

Squares, log cabin, you are doing all the stuff I long for. Color choices are excellent. I do love STR. Will watch this unfold with great anticipation.

Stacey said...

I really like the colors, but then again, I loooove color - especially greens!

Christy said...

Pretty, go for it. I love seeing your blanket squares. It helps me sort out blanket ideas in my head. I haven't done one yet, but I keep thinking what it would look like.

Unknown said...

Those colors are great! Your Lizard Ridge came out so amazing - I don't think you need to worry about anyone questioning your chosen palette ever. I can't wait to see how this one comes out.

Deb said...

I love the colors - of course! I see you opted not to bind off at the end of a section - was it to avoid having to pick the stitches up or do you just like the look better?

Dave said...

I like those colours! We'll let the opinion from 2020 worry about itself. :-) The swirl idea sounds good -- looking forward to seeing it develop.

Monika said...

I've always like lemon grass colorways whenever I saw them. But so far I've never gotten to buy one. Some day. It's just too nice a color combo to just forget about it. My first Log Cabin was one big square, I guess the second one as well, but a little different. This is perfect for TV knitting! You make me want to bang my head against the wall! Right now I've got abot 10 different blankets in mind, which I'd like to knit and start RIGHT NOW, but I don't let myself do that. Must finish Hannah's blanket first! It's a pleasure to see your squares again. I think I come visit often, they are so inspiring! ;o)

Jessica said...

It looks great! You've been making me want to knit a blanket lately. :)

cpurl17 said...

Nothing better than curling up under a homemade blanket. Can I stay at your house?

Zonda said...

My name is Zonda and I'll never have a knitting blanket obsession LOL! I can't even finish the one I am working on!

Yours is fab! Love all those colors!

Anonymous said...

The colors you selected are beautiful together. I'm going to enjoy watching your log cabin grow!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

hehehe... I love just reading everyone's comments too!

I LOVE the colors you chose! So fun and bright :) I can't wait to start another STR blanket. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I love the color (as I sit in my room with beige walls and brown furniture).... I think you should make it the plan of at least some of your projects to confuse the future generation. It's just like some of the author's I read - you get to the end of the books and you say - "what in the hell was that all about??"

Anonymous said...

I like your colors. You have to knit what makes you happy :)