Saturday, October 14, 2006

R is for Rectangle

When we moved into our house a couple years ago we decide to do all the painting in an effort to save some money. We saved money - but definitely not time. It took us three years to get all the painting finished. We did a lot at first, but it quickly just wore us out. So we just picked away on it over time until it was finished.

This is the small guest bathroom on the first floor. I painted the walls using a 6"x8" rectangle pattern and seven different colors of beachy blues and greens. Some of the rectangles in the pictures look white - but they really are a very pale blue.

This room is the smallest in the house, but actually took me the longest to paint. I think in total the project took me a little over a week to complete. I laid out the rectangle pattern on the wall using a pencil, level, and a yard stick. Once all the rectangles were drawn on the wall, I numbered them all from one to seven. I also assigned a number to each color. I didn't want any same color rectangles to touch. The drawing and numbering was finished in an evening.

Once all the rectangles were drawn, I taped off all the squares for one color and painted those with two coats. Once the second coat was one the wall I removed the tape and waited for the paint to dry to tape off the next set of squares. That is what took most of the time. Once a set of squares was taped off, it took no time at all to paint them. Once they were all painted, there was some touch up.

Once the painting was finished I went out and go the shelves, mirror, towel ring, and paper holder. I also added white porcelain outlet and switch covers to coordinate.

Overall I was please with the results. It came out about like I expected. I don't think I will ever do this again to an entire room. And now I'm a little tired of the whole thing and I've been thinking of repainting the room.

14 comments:

Trillian42 said...

Holy smokes! That's a LOT of work! And it looks great!

If I had that kind of patience, I'd love to do that in one of our bathrooms. Sadly, I am patience-impaired.

cpurl17 said...

Wow! I looks great!! I admire your patience and skill at marking out all those rectangles.

Anonymous said...

very impressive! years ago I tore out of a magazine a photo of someone's bathroom that was in different shades of the same orange tone--all overlapping rectangles. I have wanted to paint something similar ever since! Yours is pretty awesome.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS! I saved the picture for a future idea. It's so interesting but not too much to look at!

Angela said...

Don't you dare repaint that room! It's very nice and you put so much time into it! I admire you. I am also starting a major decorating theme at my house. Do you know anything about painting furniture? Buddy, pal....hello?....

Ang

Bezzie said...

Very cool! If I ever tried that it would most definately look like crap--tape or no tape!

Impressive!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't repaint the bathroom. Keep the door shut if it's getting old to you because everyone else thinks it is awesome...and it is.

Zonda said...

I love it!! Awesome job on that! Definately a lot of hard work!!

turtlegirl76 said...

You would paint over that?!! It's gorgeous!

LadyLinoleum said...

That is fabuloso!

Anonymous said...

Please don't repaint over that gorgeous room! In addition to the story about how much work it took, it's absolutely smashing!

Margot said...

Came a visitin' after seeing your comment on my blog (thanks).

That is a fabulous paint job. The colors complement each other so nicely. I'd love to replicate it, but I don't think I'm patient enough.

Anonymous said...

I AM IMPRESSED BY THE WORK U DO AND THE THINGS U MAKE-- AND I ESPECIALLY THINK THE WORLD OF YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE MY NIECE AND I AM VERY PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rainbows_unicorns_and_crystalmeth said...

thanks! of course, this is more a compliment to yourself since all i did was steal your (fine) idea. :)