Friday, September 12, 2008

Handspun Friday - Back to the Wheel

> Well, I've finally gotten back to the spinning wheel and last weekend I spun up this beautiful Corriedale roving from Traveling Rhinos. It has actually been several weeks since I've sat down at the wheel and I wanted to start with a small project. I can spin a 4 ounce braid of fiber into the singles needed for a 2-ply yarn in an evening.


This spin went well but it was a little choppy at first. My goal was to end up with a nice dk weight yarn to use for a scarf. In some spots I was right on target and in others I was a lot thinner. The past couple times I spun anything, I was trying to spin thin to get a nice sock yarn. That made this a little challenging to actually spin a the thicker singles.

I had heard that it was sometimes hard to get a nice even thick yarn once you got used to spinning thin thread-like strands. When I started spinning it was hard to imaging being able to spin such a thin single that this would be an issue. I guess it is all about control. I've signed up for a spinning workshop that will last one afternoon and will focus on spinning for a specific project. I think that will help give me some ideas on controlling my spinning better.

I think this is about the second time I've spun any Corriedale fiber. It's nice and has a long fiber/staple length that makes it great for a beginning spinner. This fiber specifically had been prepped and dyed really well too. The finished yarn didn't bleed at all in the warm water soak I used to help set the twist. I'd definitely buy more fiber from Traveling Rhinos.

Geddesburg Handspun Yarn

Fiber Content:
Corriedale
Fiber Source: Traveling Rhinos
Color: Cancun I
Weight: 4.4 ounces
Yardage: 320 yards
WPI: 14 -15 wraps per inch (average)
Spinning Style: worsted
Spinning Ratio: 8 to 1
Plying Ratio: 8 to 1
Notes: 2-ply

8 comments:

Monika said...

This is gorgeous, such happy colors! I too have problems spinning thicker, that's why I make 3ply or even 4ply, if I can't spin it as thick as I want. :o) I too haven't set down to spin in a long time.

Bezzie said...

I love corriedale! It looks beautiful. You've taught me to take pre-spun pictures of my stuff too. It's so interesting to see the "after" pics!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous! It's great to see how the fibre and yarn looks like. I'm quite new to this so I was just wondering; how do you split the fibres?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I'm going to have to check out Traveling Rhinos. Those colors are lovely.

Zonda said...

Oh, that is beautiful!! I bet that class will be quite informative too!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Goodness those colors are so pretty! Love them!!

bockstark.knits said...

the colors are so great!!! i was going to buy some travelling rhinos roving until i looked at the price - eeee - so expensive! but i'm sure one day i will get some...i can't resist for long!

Batty said...

This yarn makes me happy. I look at the colors and smile.