I've finally knit something with some of this yarn I've been spinning. I took my husband's favorite skein so far and decided to knit up a hat for him. He wanted a basic hat that was long enough to fold back up over his ears. I wasn't sure how much yarn it would take, so I decided to start from the top down.
I wasn't sure what needles to use because the yarn was thick and thin. I had a couple pairs of US 6 (4 mm) out from the sweater I recently finished so I decided to start with those. I cast on 8 stitches and divided them between my two circular needles and knit the first row. I worked in a 1x1 rib and made evenly spaced increases every other row until I got something that looked big enough to fit on his head.
Then I just knit in 1x1 rib until there was only enough yarn left for the bind off. I used the whole skein in the hat. I think it could have been longer if I had more yarn and in retrospect the size 6 needles might have been a little small overall. But it works at keeping the top of his head warm and he is at least wearing the hat to walk the dog.
I really do like the lumpy texture of this hat. It is nice and soft. It would have made for a great scarf if there had been enough yarn. I also like the fact that there wasn't any yarn leftover. I'm definitely looking forward to more handspun knits!