Wednesday, March 14, 2007

If I knew you were coming...

I'd have baked a cake. I actually did bake these six mini cakes this weekend. I love cooking and baking. Especially baking - who doesn't like warm sweet treats fresh out of the oven. I also love the smell that fills the kitchen when something good is baking in the oven.

The problem for me with baked good is, well besides all the fat and sugar, in a two person house a batch or cookies or a whole cake almost never get eaten before it needs to be tossed out.

So I've been working on ways to get more fresh homemade baked good into our lives. I've been experimenting with freezing half batches of cookies dough. This lets me bake small amounts that can be consumed as made. Also, I've purchased some of these fun cake pans that are divide into small individual sized cakes. I can freeze individual small cakes and take out just enough to eat in one sitting. I did this with some mini pumpkin streusel cakes over the holidays and it turned out really well.

So, I've been looking for other tasty cake recipes to try. These little cakes were made with dried cherries. For some reason I've been eating dried cherries lately like crazy lately. The cakes were good, but I don't think I'd make them again in these little flower pans. The batter is much too airy and full of holes to retain the detail of the flower design. The husband didn't like the chocolate chips on top either. So back to the drawing board. Anyone have a good cake recipe to share?

10 comments:

Bezzie said...

You're giving me baking envy here!!! My poor oven is broke and of course all I want to do is bake! Those look delicious!

Anonymous said...

How about that Lemon Supreme cake where you poke it with a fork and drizzle the icing it runs down the holes into the cake. It also has lemon instant pudding in it. I'm getting ready to make one for grandma and grandpa this weekend. How about banana bread or german chocolate? You know you didn't get your baking skills from me!!!
Cheesecake works for individuals.

Jacque said...

you're making me haungry ziegfried. Those look delish.

Meghann said...

YUM!!! Those look very tasty. I freeze cookie dough all the time and dh and I bake cookies for like 2 weeks off of it. Hmmmm....I need to make something yummy!

Sue J. said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I got the cubbies from organize.com. They are shoe cubbies, but hold a lot of yarn. Your baking looks wonderful. How I envy your skill. Ask my family, cooking is not my forte.

Anonymous said...

Those look sooo good! I love baking with dried cherries or cranberries.. yummm! I have an awesome Tea Bread recipe with almonds and cranberries that I can share with you if you are at all interested? Lemme know!

Anonymous said...

dontcha know that coworkers, as a general rule, are always hungry and eat anything? i always bring stuff to the office and it's gone within hours :)

Batty said...

Oh! Oooooh! Those look delicious! With icing. And are those chocolate chips? Yum!

We have a similar problem at our house. Only 2 people, and I love to bake. There was the memorable Christmas when I made home-made egg nog and a rum butter cheesecake. The husband took it upon himself to eat and drink most of this. About a week later, he got sick, and the doctor decided to do a surprise cholesterol test...

Yes. It was bad.

Anonymous said...

Okay, it's official - there is a conspiracy going on in blogland to sabotage my diet! Yesterday was the first day that I got up and decided enough is enough; I've got to get the eating under control. Then what happens? You post these yummy looking cakes, La posts some yummy looking ice cream sandwiches, and Brenda posts a yummy freshly baked pie! I think I'm going to scream if the next blog I read has good food pictured!

Stacie said...

those are just precious! I am the Freezer Queen! I love the idea of freezing your lil cakes. I roll cookie dough out into logs and freeze, slice and bake! Yum!