Sunday, March 11, 2007

Clapotis - The Final Installment

Well it is finally finished. I actually finished on Thursday night. I wore it to work on Friday and four different ladies were wearing colors that really went well with it. A couple offered to take it off my hands. One lady asked if I knit it over night - don't I wish I was that fast.

After wearing it, I decided not to block it. I like the wavy texture the dropped stitches create and I don't want that to go away. Although no blocking made it a pain to take measurements and pictures. I didn't really get a nice picture of it all stretched out in it's full length glory.

I did like working with the Lady Godiva. It was very soft and silky on my hands. I hope to get some more Hand Maiden yarns to try. I haven't seen any at the local shops so I ordered these skeins online - site unseen. I do admit that I do that with quite a bit though. The dropped stitches did have to be coaxed into release all the way down. I saved dropping all the stitches to the end and it ended up taking up most of my normal evening knitting time. I had been kind envisioning the stitches magically dropping all on their own but the yarn was a little grabby for that.

I've also decided that I am a slow knitter and I'll just have to account for that when doing projects. I originally thought that this would be much faster to knit. The straight section repeats took me about an hour each. The increase and decrease sections just seemed to fly right by though.

I knit straight from each of the skeins and did not alternate. There is a slight color difference in each of the three sections. But I think that is because each skein had a slightly different percentage of each color. All the colors appear to be from the same dye batch though. Each end of the Clapotis does have some pooling, but not much. I like the pooling because it shows the hand dyed yarn off to me. I like seeing the little patches of color.

Project Info
Pattern: Clapotis by Kate Gilbert
Yarn: Hand Maiden Lady Godiva; color - paris
3 skeins (4 grams leftover)
Needles: addi TURBO -US# 7 (4.5mm)
Gauge: 5 stitches/7 rows per inch
Pattern Modifications:
Added one repeat to Section 2 (increase rows)
Added four repeats to Section 3 (straight rows)
Added one repeat to Section 4 (decrease rows)
Date Started: February 14, 2007
Date Finished: March 8, 2007

All measurements provided here are approximate and non binding. Numbers are presented in good faith and I did make a good attempt at pinning the Clapotis flat to get the correct numbers.

I almost didn't knit this. I'm not sure why; maybe because I hadn't yet found the right yarn. But I'm really glad I did. I'm pleased with the yarn in both color and feel. I also think it is something I will actually use. It's kind of funny, but I'm always still a little surprised when I finish a project and I'm satisfied with the results. As a little reward I placed an order for a set of the new addi lace needles. Was that wrong? I haven't done any lace knitting yet. I got them in US size 1 with sock knitting in mind. There have been several times I wished for sharper points when knitting socks. I'm looking forward to trying them.

24 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

Oh it's so pretty! I absolutely LOVE the colors in it. It's gorgeous!

Batty said...

Beautiful! I love the colors. It's a good thing you knit it.

Anonymous said...

It's absolutley stunning! And, there is certainly nothing wrong with rewarding yourself :)

Dame Wendy said...

That turned out just gorgeous!

Zonda said...

Oh Wow! That is just gorgeous!! Awesome knitting there! I love all those colors..hehe I can just imagine the grip you held on it when others wanted it! :)

Hee, my word verification is zoaah!

Monika said...

It looks really nice! I like the first picture, so well lit (and folded)! ;o)
I've king of ordered two addi lace circs. I couldn't find it anywhere here in Canada, until I found a new on-line store. She's going to order them for me! Yeah! Did NOT have sock knitting in mind, but other lacey goodness!

Jessica said...

Ooh! It's beautiful! Congrats on the finished product. My stitches took a little coaxing as well. It's still fun to do!

cpurl17 said...

It's just gorgeous! The colors seem to shimmer!

Have fun wearing it!

Bezzie said...

Yup, I agree with everything that's been said! I love those colors! Great job!

Jacque said...

Gorgeous clappy. I really love the colors and your yarn review has inspired me to order some for myself. I am online yarn shopper as well. No LYS...so sad!

Anonymous said...

Lovely, lovely! Your stitches are so even and beautiful! I'm inspired to finally take up the Clap!

Bufanditas said...

So I'm not the only one that felt knitting Clap took forever. ;) IMO tt's an easy and pretty pattern but time consuming and a bit boring. The results, as your pics show, are totally worth it.

Anonymous said...

Ditto with the comments above! It's another winner!!!

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

wow it's gorgeous! Congrats on finishing!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely Gorgeous Shannon!! I love those colors :)

Ms. L said...

I love that! I've actually been thinking of knitting another in LG, but was unsure of how the plying would affect it... you've convinced me, much to the dismay of my checking account balance!

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful. The colours blend and meld so well. This makes me want more handmaiden goodies!

Avrienne said...

I got some new yarn this weekend that's begging to be made into a shawl, and I was resisting making another Clap for myself...but now I think I just might! Apparently I just needed to be reminded how beautiful they are by seeing yours :)

Melissa said...

I love your finished Clapotis!! The yarn is absolutely a perfect choice... I want some now :-)

Sue J. said...

Wow! Your clapotis is lovely! Congratulations on a job well done. Love your blog. Will mark it in my favorites.

momsue84 said...

One more thing-you are going to love the Addi Lace Needles. Got mine yesterday and Wow! I need to warn you-lace knitting is addictive. Once you start, you can't stop!

Anonymous said...

Stunning!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog. I love your Clapotis. It's on my to-do list.

gilraen said...

It is a beautiful example of a Clapotis well knitted. The yarn is georgeous too, I love turquoise in any yarn. :)