Sunday, May 14, 2006

Felted Bowls

The bowl on the left was knit using one skein of Lamb's Pride Bulky in Peacock. I used was the Large Bowl pattern from the Holiday Trio leaflet by Carol Bristol. The bowl on the right was knit with one and a half skein of Manos using the large bowl Pattern from One Skein.

The green bowl was blocked over a small mixing bowl with the top part of the knitting stretched over the opening of the mixing bowl. The variegated bowl was blocked with a stack of small bowls inside. You can see the ridges inside that the stack of bowls created.

Bowl measurements (after felting)
Height: 5 inches (LPB) / 5.5 inches (Manos)
Circumference: 20.5 inches (LPB) / 18.25 inches (Manos)
Width: 7 inches (LPB) / 6 inches (Manos)
Opening: 5 inches (LPB) / 5 inches (Manos)

What I really like is the texture of the felted fabric that the Manos created. You can see a close up to the left. It really doesn't look like stitch definition left, but it is a nubby bumpy texture. I haven't felted with anything else that created this kind of an effect.

I really like how the bowls came out and it was a very quick and easy project. What a great way to use extra feltable yarn from the stash.

4 comments:

Zonda said...

Love them! Great way to use up the leftover yarns for sure! As for the ridges on the outside, can you flip it inside out?? just wondering :)

Bezzie said...

I love those! The peacock one is my favorite I think. Reminds me of "real" pottery!

Terri said...

They look great! :o)

Carolyn said...

Wow, they turned out great! I love the shape of the blue one, and the texture of the Manos one is fabulous.