Friday, December 19, 2008

Fiber Friday - Holiday Tencel

This is definitely not the old shiny tinsel that got hung on the Christmas tree, but it is a 50/50 merino tencel blend. It also definitely has a sheen too. It was hard to get a picture that didn't shine so much. The yarn isn't quite as shiny in person as the pictures seem to show.

The tencel did make the fiber easy to draft and spin. Almost too easy really, it was very slippery and I missed the grab that 100% wool has when drafting. The tencel does give the finished yarn a nice drape and it is very smooth and silky.

I do think that this will make a nice scarf or something, although it will have to be small because I didn't get much yardage. I'm wondering is tencel is denser than wool and therefore less fiber for the same weight. Does anyone know? I'll have to go research that.

I didn't get a picture of the fiber before spinning this time. I was ready to spin something and this was sitting on the table. My fiber room is a huge mess and I have been avoiding going in there. I do have to have It all straight before the holidays since we are having company so I plan on tackling that this weekend.

Geddesburg Handspun Yarn

Fiber Content: 50% super wash merino / 50% tencel
Fiber Source: http://www.dkknits.etsy.com/
Color: Tropical Holiday
Yardage: 250 yards
Weight: 4 ounces
WPI: 14 wraps per inch
Notes: 2-ply yarn;

10 comments:

Monika said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Pretty! I had a harder time with merino/tencel than I thought I would, so I switched the end I was spinning from. It still broke occasionally, but not nearly as bad as it had before!

Annalea said...

Just beautiful. :o) And a fun pun this time of year.

Now that I've been able to get a wheel, I've got a few little skeins of yarn I should blog . . . nothing all that exciting, really, but I'm terribly fond of them. lol

Have a great weekend!

gilraen said...

Wow that is gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

What a great skein of color and shine!!! Looks really nice!

Lazuli said...

Those are great colors! I love the sheen of the tencel.

bockstark.knits said...

OMG, that is beyond gorgeous!!! merino/tencel is one of my faves to spin - i heart slippery! :)

Zonda said...

So pretty!! Look forward to seeing what you knit with it!

Bezzie said...

Oh purrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

Jennie said...

ooooohhhh soooo pretty!!